Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

Salvo Lite available as ELF archive?

If you're having difficulty installing Salvo, post it here.

Salvo Lite available as ELF archive?

Postby hughanderson » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi,

I wondered if it was possible to get the Salvo library libsalvofmcc30s-t.a so that it can be linked with ELF
format object modules? At the moment I *think* it is COFF. The new version of the microchip IDE (mplabX),
seems to have an urge to only use ELF, and though I can compile COFF by hand, it then wont load into
the simulator and so on.

Perhaps there is some workaround - so I'll just explain what I am trying to do:

First: My environment:

Code: Select all
  My Host Machine: MacOSX 10.6.8
  My host JVM:     Java: 1.6.0_26; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 20.1-b02-384
  IDE:             MPLAB X IDE Beta7.02
  Target machine:  dsPIC33FJ128MC706
  Compiler:        /Applications/microchip/mplabc30/v3.30c/bin/pic30-gcc
                   (GCC) 4.0.3 (dsPIC30, Microchip v3_30)

Second: I retrieved the latest version of Salvo Lite from the web site today
(18th October 2011 here in Singapore): salvo-lite-dspic-4.2.2-rc6.exe

I note that there does not seem to be anything for the Mac, so I downloaded the
library for the PC, and got .h and .a files that are curiously old:

Code: Select all
        pnp182-122:Salvo hugh$ ls -l Lib/MCC30-v3
        -rw-r--r--  1 hugh  staff  70352 Sep 25  2010 libsalvofmcc30l-t.a
        -rw-r--r--  1 hugh  staff  68098 Sep 25  2010 libsalvofmcc30s-t.a
        pnp182-122:Salvo hugh$ ls -l Inc/
        drwxr-xr-x  3 hugh  staff    102 Oct 18 12:48 MCC30
        -rw-r--r--  1 hugh  staff  24396 Jun 21  2008 salvo.h
        -rw-r--r--  1 hugh  staff   8804 Jun 21  2008 salvoadc.h

I note also that the documentation that came with this library indicates that the
name should be libsalvofmcc30s-t.s not libsalvofmcc30s-t.a (on page 4 of
Doc/MCC30/rm-mcc30.pdf).

Third: By default the mplabX IDE will not compile a simple program and link to this library,
because it uses the ELF object module format by default (-omf=elf). If I force it by hand
to use COFF (-omf=coff) everything compiles and links, although I have no idea if the
resulting program executes because the simulator doesn't appear to work with this file.
I have found some posts on the microchip forums that appear to indicate that the
simulator in the new IDE will only work with ELF files.

Finally - so I come back to Salvo :), and wonder if I can get around my problem by getting a
version of the library in ELF format rather than COFF... I *do* understand that my problem is
not really Salvo's problem, but anyway...

Perhaps I am just downloading the wrong bits and pieces.

Regards Hugh
hughanderson

Re: Salvo Lite available as ELF archive?

Postby Andrew » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:24 pm

hughanderson wrote:Hi,
Second: I retrieved the latest version of Salvo Lite from the web site today
(18th October 2011 here in Singapore): salvo-lite-dspic-4.2.2-rc6.exe

I note that there does not seem to be anything for the Mac, so I downloaded the
library for the PC, and got .h and .a files that are curiously old:

I note also that the documentation that came with this library indicates that the
name should be libsalvofmcc30s-t.s not libsalvofmcc30s-t.a (on page 4 of
Doc/MCC30/rm-mcc30.pdf).
Your "curiously old" is someone else's "proven stable" :)

That is the most recent release of Salvo for PIC24/dsPIC, and is currently in use in a lot of places. Salvo is an instruction-set RTOS, so it's applicable to all PIC24s and dsPIC33s, regardless of how many (new) variants Microchip makes.

You're right re the library name (suffix) -- will fix that ASAP.

Third: By default the mplabX IDE will not compile a simple program and link to this library,
because it uses the ELF object module format by default (-omf=elf). If I force it by hand
to use COFF (-omf=coff) everything compiles and links, although I have no idea if the
resulting program executes because the simulator doesn't appear to work with this file.
I have found some posts on the microchip forums that appear to indicate that the
simulator in the new IDE will only work with ELF files.

Finally - so I come back to Salvo :), and wonder if I can get around my problem by getting a
version of the library in ELF format rather than COFF... I *do* understand that my problem is
not really Salvo's problem, but anyway...

Perhaps I am just downloading the wrong bits and pieces.

Regards Hugh
We traditionally steer well clear of pre-release and even released-but-not-really-stable IDEs and compilers, because the support headaches can be immense. Because the stable release (MPLAB IDE (non-X)) works best with COFF, that's what we currently supply. So, so far, no good news for you.

However, we have recently worked out how to support PIC24E/dsPIC33E, and that support is available now to Salvo Pro PIC24/dsPIC users. We are planning a comprehensive Salvo release next month (October), and that will include new libraries that support PIC24E and dsPIC33E. That would also be a good time to release .ELF libraries as well.

Tell you what -- please ping me within one week. Prior to that, I will try to generate an .ELF Salvo Lite library, and post it to the Salvo Lite download area, so that you can try it. That way, you can confirm that it works within MPLAB-X without too much effort on our part (because we don't want to "migrate" to MPLAB-X yet ...)
Andrew
Site Admin

Return to Installation