Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

Fine adjustment of Timer

If you can't make Salvo do what you want it to do, post it here.

Fine adjustment of Timer

Postby luben » Sat Dec 23, 2000 8:36 am

Hello,

If you want to generate the ticks exactly every 0.1s or 1 s there are 2 possible ways - to find a crystal (like 32KHz) that will produce some subtick that's 1/2 1/4 .. etc. of the desired tick rate.
The second way is to make some adjustment of the timer - putting some non zero value after it generates overflow.

void interrupt INT()
{
if (T0IF && T0IE)
{
TMR0 = adjusted_value;
}
}

in this case I short the whole cycle of the timer. So, putting some value in the timer I can adjust fine the frequency of the ticks.

Now the problem - if your interrupt latency is big the timer could generate the interrupt and until you go to interrupt service it could contain some non zero value. The solution is - to do
TMR0 += adjusted_value;
In this case your accuracy is much better.

So, my question is - is it possible to implement this construction when I use Salvo's RTOS. I mean, if I do this adjustment before OSTimer(), will this crach the Salvo's routines?

And here is an idea - you can do such fine adjustment into your OSTimer() function. It's not big deal to implement it inside of your source code. So, in salvocfg.h you could add
OSTimerAdjust value;
The value represents how many cycle will do the TMR0 before generating overflow. Inside of Salvo code it will be corrected with
real_value = 256-value;

The problem of such implementation is that every processor has different number of timers and everybody uses one or other of them with the same success.

Regards
Luben

P.S. By the way I think that you have problems with your WEB page - I received notification 3 times for one and the same reply from you. I mean your single reply generated 3 notifications. But it's not Salvo's topic - chease the guys who made the WEB page :-)

luben

Re: Fine adjustment of Timer

Postby aek » Sun Dec 24, 2000 10:13 am

Hi Luben.

You can do the timer += new_value method of maintaining accurate timer ticks as you described -- we do it here, too, in test code. It will not affect Salvo's built-in timer.

We will not be adding any fine adjustments to the timer routine, because (as you pointed out) it's too target-specific.

The v2.2 timer routine is extremely short, just a few instructions, with no function calls.

So, fine-tuning should / must be done outside of OSTimer(), inside the ISR.

The reason why you received three notices, but saw only one response, is that I deleted the first two ...

-------
aek
aek

Return to Coding