Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

Salvo Lite and PICC-18 Lite

For issues specific to Microchip's PICmicro® MCUs, including compilers (e.g. HI-TECH PICC & PICC-18, Microchip MPLAB®-C18) and IDEs (e.g. Microchip MPLAB®).

Salvo Lite and PICC-18 Lite

Postby larsbn » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:29 am

Dear Sir,
I have been running Salvo Lite in PIC18F458 and it’s been working fine. I’ve used the HI-TECH’s PICC-18 compiler (the PRO version) in MPLAB version 7.41. It all worked fine. But then I decided to upgrade…. 
I upgraded my software: I downloaded MPLAB version 8.20 and I also decided to try the HI-TECH PICC-18 Lite version (included in MPLAB). I also downloaded the latest Salvo Lite version from your web page.
Of course,… now I can no longer compile my RTOS applications….
What am I doing wrong? I use the following simple program, just for testing:

#include <pic18.h>
#include <salvo.h>
int main (void) {
OSInit();
while(1) {
OSSched();
}
}

And I have the following salvocfg.h file:

#define OSUSE_LIBRARY TRUE
#define OSLIBRARY_TYPE OSF
#define OSLIBRARY_CONFIG OSA
#define OSLIBRARY_VARIANT OSB

I include the mem.c and my source file in the project, I inlcude the salvocfg.h file and library file sfp86smb.lib.
Under “Build Options”, I include search paths to my source file and to salvoinc. Under the “Global” tab I’ve chosen memory model small and Code pointer size = 24 bit. Everything else is default settings.
When compiling, I get the following error message:

Build Z:shitNätverkLabb 3SalvotestRTOS_test for device 18F458 Using driver C:Program FilesHI-TECH SoftwarePICC-18PRO9.63inpicc18.exe Make: The target "Z:shitNätverkLabb 3Salvotestmem.p1" is out of date. Executing: "C:Program FilesHI-TECH SoftwarePICC-18PRO9.63inpicc18.exe" –p…….
Make: The target "Z:shitNätverkLabb 3Salvotestsalvo_test.p1" is out of date. Executing: "C:Program FilesHI-TECH SoftwarePICC-18PRO9.63inpicc18.exe" –pa…..
Executing: "C:Program FilesHI-TECH SoftwarePICC-18PRO9.63inpicc18.exe" -oRTOS_te…… HI-TECH C PRO for the PIC18 MCU Family (Lite) V9.63PL1 Copyright (C) 1984-2008 HI-TECH SOFTWARE (1273) Omniscient Code Generation not available in Lite mode (warning) Advisory[1233] Employing 18F458 errata work-arounds: Advisory[1234] * Address 4000h boundary Advisory[1234] * Faulty table reads at -40 degrees C Advisory[1234] * GOTO instruction at reset vector must be preceded by NOP Advisory[1234] * Peripherals can misbehave if BSR = 15 Advisory[1234] * DAW instruction may improperly clear CARRY bit Advisory[1234] * Writes to flash must target opposite side of 4000h boundary Error [712] C:Program FilesHI-TECH SoftwarePICC-18PRO9.63sourcesdoprnt.c; 1384. can't generate code for this expression Error [712] C:Program FilesHI-TECH SoftwarePICC-18PRO9.63sourcesdoprnt.c; 1400. can't generate code for this expression Error [712] C:Program FilesHI-TECH SoftwarePICC-18PRO9.63sourcesdoprnt.c; 1429. can't generate code for this expression Error [712] C:Program FilesHI-TECH SoftwarePICC-18PRO9.63sourcesdoprnt.c; 1454. can't generate code for this expression

The only thing I’ve noticed that has changed, is that in my previous set up, I had to “Enable Optimization” under the “Assembler” tab in MPLAB. I guess since I’m using the PICC-18 Lite version, that is no longer possible (?). Does that mean I can’t compile Salvo Lite applications with PICC-18 Lite version?
I was looking at your web page for application notes concerning this matter, but I only found older one for MPLAB v6.
Can you help me?
Sincerely, Lars Bengtsson

------------------
/L

/L
larsbn

Re: Salvo Lite and PICC-18 Lite

Postby aek » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:22 am

quote:
Advisory[1234] * Faulty table reads at -40 degrees C
That's interesting, to say the least ...

I'm rather surprised that you mentioned that you had things working with PICC-18 PRO ... we have not yet tried a port of Salvo for PIC to HI-TECH's line of PRO compilers. My guess is simply that the Salvo libraries (i.e. object files) that are in the current Salvo distribution are incompatible with the PRO compiler, probably due to differences in object file formats, etc.

However, the one thing that suggests otherwise is that your test application does not include any tasks -- it's just OSInit() and OSSched(), which are pretty much straight C code.

So looking at the Build Results errors, I don't have any insight for you, other than to point out that we do not yet officially support Salvo with HI-TECH's PRO line of compilers.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby larsbn » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:58 am

Hi,
Thank you for your quick response.

Somewhere we must misunderstand each other...

1)You helped me get Salvo going with the PICC-18 compiler last year (I refer to my post dated March 11 2008).

2) Anyway, I'm not using the PRO-version any longer. When I upgraded MPLAB to v8.20, I installed the free-ware version of PICC-18 that is included with MPLAB (the Lite version). Shouldn't Salvo work with that PICC-18 version?

3) How were we able to get it to work last spring(March 11)? What I'm I missing?

4) I interpret the error messages as that it is not a Salvo/PICC-18 problem. I think I have just not included all necessary files or placed them in the wrong directory, but I cuold be wrong...

Could you please take another look at this?

5) Are you saying that I can't run Salvo in a PIC18F458 if I'm using HI-TECH PICC-18 Lite version?

Sincerly,
Lars B

/L
larsbn

Postby aek » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:40 am

As long as PICC-Lite is not a PRO version of the compiler, then it should work fine.

PIC18F458 should be fine.

But I think this is a PRO compiler -- look at the output:

quote:
HI-TECH C PRO for the PIC18 MCU Family (Lite) V9.63PL1 Copyright (C)

------------------

[This message has been edited by aek (edited April 27, 2009).]

-------
aek
aek

Postby larsbn » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:11 am

quote:
Originally posted by aek:
As long as PICC-Lite is not a PRO version of the compiler, then it should work fine.

PIC18F458 should be fine.

But I think this is a PRO compiler -- look at the output:

/L
larsbn

Postby larsbn » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:18 am

I'm sorry, you're right of course. Last year I used a STD version of the PICC-18 compiler. That's why it worked I guess.

I'm a professor at a university and my students urge me to use free-ware solutions if possible, that's why I changed to the free-ware PICC-18 solution. I didn't notice that I changed from a STD version to a PRO version at the same time. My mistake.

I guess I have to go back to my STD version, unless you have a better suggestion. Are there any other PIC-PICC-Salvo combinations that would work with free-ware only?
/Lars B

/L
larsbn

Postby aek » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:21 am

Not yet .. we hope to support the PRO versions soon, but have been unable to find time to do the port.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby caloy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:15 am

Hallo an alle .. Ich dachte, vorbei um hallo zu sagen, jeder ..
Ich bin erst neu hier .. hoffe, dass wir unsere Ideen f
caloy

Return to PICmicro MCUs