Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

RAM Usage

For issues specific to Microchip's PICmicro® MCUs, including compilers (e.g. HI-TECH PICC & PICC-18, Microchip MPLAB®-C18) and IDEs (e.g. Microchip MPLAB®).

RAM Usage

Postby Raj » Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:23 am

Hi,

How do I calculate the RAM usage for Salvo tasks? I am using 7 tasks on PIC18F8620 and I am little concerned if I am using up a lot of RAM and want to know an exact amount of RAM my tasks are using. Please help.

Thanks,
Raj

Raj

Re: RAM Usage

Postby kamyip » Wed May 05, 2004 6:04 am

quote:
Originally posted by Raj:
Hi,

How do I calculate the RAM usage for Salvo tasks? I am using 7 tasks on PIC18F8620 and I am little concerned if I am using up a lot of RAM and want to know an exact amount of RAM my tasks are using. Please help.

Thanks,
Raj

Raj,

There is plenty of ram (> 3Kb) in 18F8720 to play about if you're using only 7 tasks. I'm currently having 20+ tasks and runs without problem.

kamyip

Re: RAM Usage

Postby aek » Wed May 05, 2004 7:43 am

Hi Raj.

Look in the map file that's generated by your compiler.

All of Salvo's global objects (i.e. all the non-auto variables used by Salvo) are prefixed by "OS", e.g. OStcbArea[], OSeligQ, OScTcbP.

Salvo task control blocks (tcbs) are located in OStcbArea[]. On a PIC, they'll range from roughly 5-10 bytes per tcb (and hence, per task). Events are 3-4 bytes, plus extras for message queues and event flags.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Return to PICmicro MCUs