Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

OSCreateTask

For issues specific to Microchip's PICmicro® MCUs, including compilers (e.g. HI-TECH PICC & PICC-18, Microchip MPLAB®-C18) and IDEs (e.g. Microchip MPLAB®).

OSCreateTask

Postby RandyManV » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:21 am

Using Freeware ver
PIC18F442 with Microchip C18 C compiler
also using Microchip's ICD for debugging.

Problem: according to Salvo's documentation OSCreateTask() returns OSNOERR when task creation is successful.

Question: what problems could exists if OSCreateTask() returns other than OSNOERR?

RCN:
RandyManV

Re: OSCreateTask

Postby Salvo Tech Support » Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:15 am

Hello.

It's likely to be either the parameters that you're using in OSCreateTask() are somehow wrong, or you've exceeded the number of allowable tasks (3) in Salvo Lite.

Please post your salvocfg.h and your main.c and we'll figure out what's wrong.

------------------
--------
Salvo Technical Support
Please request all tech support through the Forums.

--------
Salvo Technical Support
Salvo Tech Support

Postby RandyManV » Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:09 am

quote:
Originally posted by Salvo Tech Support:
[QUOTE]Based upon a document I read from Pumpkin, I added "#define MAKE_WITH_FREE_LIB" to my salvocfg.h file.
Yes, for Salvo Lite builds you'll need to have that defined in order to successfully use a freeware (Salvo Lite) library.

You can see examples of the salvocfg.h configuration files for Salvo Lite builds in the tutorials.

[/QUOTE]

You know I went through the Tutorials, and other documentation, and never saw a reference to the #define.

Until I was reading some past messages on this msg board with reference to AN22. Even AN12 didn't have any reference to this #define, which it should by the way.

Thanks once again for your help.
Sincerely,
Randy Navarro

(well, I guess these forums don't support nested quotes -- that's why those fields are showing up in brackets instead of doing something ... bummer. aek)

[This message has been edited by aek (edited March 13, 2003).]

RCN:
RandyManV

Postby RandyManV » Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:32 am

quote:
Originally posted by Salvo Tech Support:
Hello.

It's likely to be either the parameters that you're using in OSCreateTask() are somehow wrong, or you've exceeded the number of allowable tasks (3) in Salvo Lite.

Please post your salvocfg.h and your main.c and we'll figure out what's wrong.

In an effort to debug this problem, I brought the number of tasks down to 1 from 3. I removed all events, and slimmed it down to the bare bones. Because OSCreateTask returns a status, I piped the status to a variable.

Based upon a document I read from Pumpkin, I added "#define MAKE_WITH_FREE_LIB" to my
salvocfg.h file.

With these changes, OSCreateTask() returns OSNOERR, which is what we want.

Once I narrow it down, I'll give you status.

Thanks
Randy Navarro

RCN:
RandyManV

Postby Salvo Tech Support » Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:47 am

quote:
Based upon a document I read from Pumpkin, I added "#define MAKE_WITH_FREE_LIB" to my salvocfg.h file.
Yes, for Salvo Lite builds you'll need to have that defined in order to successfully use a freeware (Salvo Lite) library.

You can see examples of the salvocfg.h configuration files for Salvo Lite builds in the tutorials.

------------------
--------
Salvo Technical Support

--------
Salvo Technical Support
Salvo Tech Support

Postby aek » Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:57 am

Hi Randy.
quote:
Based upon a document I read from Pumpkin, I added "#define MAKE_WITH_FREE_LIB" to my
salvocfg.h file.
Ahhhh .. you didn't mention that you were using a salvocfg.h from one of the tutorials as a "template" for your own! :-)

The symbols MAKE_WITH_FREE_LIB, MAKE_WITH_STD_LIB, MAKE_WITH_SOURCE, etc. are not part of Salvo per se -- note that they don't begin with "OS". They're just a way for us to manage our tutorial, example, etc. projects in way that allows us to use only one salvocfg.h for all variants (i.e. Lite, LE, Pro, etc.) of a particular project.

To alleviate some of this confusion, we've been restructuring the salvocfg.h's so that this is more obvious when you look at them. But we haven't got to the PIC projects yet. They should follow the new format by the time Salvo v3.2 for PIC is released.

Regards,

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby RandyManV » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:25 am

quote:
Originally posted by aek:
Hi Randy. [QUOTE]Based upon a document I read from Pumpkin, I added "#define MAKE_WITH_FREE_LIB" to my
salvocfg.h file.
Ahhhh .. you didn't mention that you were using a salvocfg.h from one of the tutorials as a "template" for your own! :-)

The symbols MAKE_WITH_FREE_LIB, MAKE_WITH_STD_LIB, MAKE_WITH_SOURCE, etc. [b]are not part of Salvo per se -- note that they don't begin with "OS". They're just a way for us to manage our tutorial, example, etc. projects in way that allows us to use only one salvocfg.h for all variants (i.e. Lite, LE, Pro, etc.) of a particular project.

To alleviate some of this confusion, we've been restructuring the salvocfg.h's so that this is more obvious when you look at them. But we haven't got to the PIC projects yet. They should follow the new format by the time Salvo v3.2 for PIC is released.

Regards,

[/B][/QUOTE]

Ah... sorry for the vagueness!
When does v3.2 come out... Since it's a minor (.x) release are there large changes to the freeware version?...

C-ya!
Randy Navarro

RCN:
RandyManV

Postby aek » Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:32 pm

Hi Randy.
quote:
When does v3.2 come out... Since it's a minor (.x) release are there large changes to the freeware version?...
Scheduled for v3.2 are a couple of things:

1) Fixes of known problems (see Service Bulletins for interim solutions).
2) Cyclic timers.
3) More versatile event flags.
4) An enhancement to the timer's functionality.
5) An easier way for Salvo Pro users to make custom libraries.

1)-3) would be included in Salvo Lite, since they will be part of the default Salvo functionality.

v3.2 has been held up due to a variety of issues, but it's coming soon ...

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Return to PICmicro MCUs