Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

Newer PICs supported?

For issues specific to Microchip's PICmicro® MCUs, including compilers (e.g. HI-TECH PICC & PICC-18, Microchip MPLAB®-C18) and IDEs (e.g. Microchip MPLAB®).

Newer PICs supported?

Postby javamatte » Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:08 am

This may be a redundant question, but I was wondering the newer (to me, at least) PICs are supported? The specific part numbers I am referring to are the 16F629 and the 12F628.

The 12F628 is of particular interest to me. It has an 8 level stack, 2k ram, 128k eeprom, interrupt capability (including tmr0 overflow) and 14bit instruction words. It looks to me like a 16Fxxx in a 12Fxxx package.

Have you worked on these parts at all, and if so, do you have any caveats? I have some samples on the way and would like to try running Salvo on them.

Thanks in advance!
-Matt

javamatte

Re: Newer PICs supported?

Postby Salvo Tech Support » Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:51 am

Hi Matt.

You shouldn't have any trouble running Salvo on the newer PICmicro(R) MCUs you mentioned ...

For source-code builds, the PIC type is never an issue. For library builds, if we haven't yet documented which library you must use, you'll need to figure out which library is the correct one for your PICmicro(R) MCU.

With PICC, you can do this in one of two ways:

1) Run PICC -CHIPINFO. This will give you an output that lists chip types by name and the PICC library that each one needs (e.g. 12C671 is a 40b library). Since we use the same library naming convention as PICC, that means that you would use the Salvo library sfp40bab.lib as the right library for the 12C671.

2) Make a tiny application for the chip of interest and see which PICC library is linked in. As in 1) above, the Salvo library must use the same "library code".

Looking at PICC v8.00 PL2 (what we have installed here now), the 12F628 was not yet supported. Perhaps it is in the latest release.

If there is no Salvo library that matches the one you need for your part, then we'll update PICC on our end, generate new libraries and issue a new Salvo for PICmicro(R) MCUs distribution. But we usually wait for new PICC releases to stabilize ...

Regards,

------------------
--------
Salvo Technical Support
Please request all tech support through the Forums.

--------
Salvo Technical Support
Please request all tech support through the Forums.
Salvo Tech Support

Return to PICmicro MCUs