Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

errors compiling salvomem.c with IAR compiler

For issues specific to TI's MSP430 line of ultra-low-power microcontrollers, including compilers (e.g. Quadravox AQ430), IDEs (e.g. IAR Embedded Workbench) and development tools (e.g. TI MSP-FET430 Flash Emulation Tool).

Re: errors compiling salvomem.c with IAR compiler

Postby aek » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:06 am

I _think_ that if I change these back to 0 instead of NULL this problem will disappear I will look into it shortly. O/wise it may be more expedient to conditionally define NULL and allow it to be overridden on a compiler-by-compiler basis.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby aek » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:32 am

Thanks -- I have incorporated all of these changes into the current Salvo distribution and they will be released in Salvo 4.2.0 ... within a few days.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby aek » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:01 am

Hi Dave.

4.2.0 is now online ... could you test it?

I suggest renaming your existing installation, to e.g. PumpkinSalvo-old, then installing 4.2.0 to the default location, and test it.

I think I covered all the C++ issues -- tested with IAR EW4 with "Embedded C++" selected.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby Dave Hohl » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:44 am

I downloaded 4.2.0 and tested it this morning. Your changes have fixed all of the C++ compiler problems I had.

One other thing you might want to consider changing, though. In its current release IAR has replaced msp430.h and its associated mspxxx.h files with io430.h and a set of ioxxx.h files. They still provide the old files for legacy support, but recommend switching to the new files.

Since I use the new files, and Salvo still uses the old, I get a whole bunch of "symbol redefined" type errors for files that include salvo.h. I fixed this by modifying salvoportiar.h to include io430.h instead of msp430.h. It would be nice if Salvo used the new files.

I realize, however, that this could have the effect of breaking existing code. But if people are switching to the latest IAR compiler they really should convert to the new files.

Anyway, thanks for the quick turnaround on getting C++ supported.

Dave Hohl

Postby aek » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:11 am

I'll take a look at the io430.h issue .. the main thing (for us) is not so much IAR, but the fact that we support other compilers (e.g. Rowley) as well, and I try to avoid replicating files that differ "by just a little" wherever possible. Such would be the case if the register definitions differ between the historic msp430 (ioxxx actually came earlier, btw) and the current ioxxx headers.

Thanks for the feedback on C++ compatibility, btw.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Previous

Return to TI's MSP430