Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

Problems building tutorial 6

For issues specific to TI's MSP430 line of ultra-low-power microcontrollers, including compilers (e.g. Quadravox AQ430), IDEs (e.g. IAR Embedded Workbench) and development tools (e.g. TI MSP-FET430 Flash Emulation Tool).

Problems building tutorial 6

Postby paulw » Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:00 am

I am trying to build tutorial 6 from the Salvo Lite download using the IAR Kickstart IDE from the TI MSP430-FET for the purposes of evaluating Salvo for a project we have coming up. However, the make manages to compile all the object files successfully but the link phase fails with the message:

Error[e46]: Undefined external "?CL430_1_26_L08" referred in delay (C:salvolibsfiar430-a.r43)

What is this symbol, why is it undefined in an unmodified version of the tutorial, and how can I fix this?

I am very unimpressed by the fact that an error as simple as an undefined symbol, apparently a standard salvo symbol of some sort, shows up in a simple tutorial.

paulw

Re: Problems building tutorial 6

Postby aek » Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:16 am

Hi Paul.

Please see Troubleshooting: Linker Error: Undefined External (version number) in our App Note AN-15 for a solution.

quote:
I am very unimpressed by the fact that an error as simple as an undefined symbol, apparently a standard salvo symbol of some sort, shows up in a simple tutorial.
This occurs because the IAR linker likes to see libraries built by its version of the compiler. Since you are at a different revision from the one we used to build the libraries, the fix described above is required.

------------------

[This message has been edited by aek (edited April 08, 2003).]

-------
aek
aek

Postby Salvo Tech Support » Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:18 am

The IAR compilers are the only one we support that have this issue. It's something IAR users simply have to live with ...

------------------
--------
Salvo Technical Support
Please request all tech support through the Forums.

--------
Salvo Technical Support
Salvo Tech Support

Postby paulw » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:12 am

Thanks. That solved the problem and I now
have tutorial 6 running successfully on a board containing an MSP430F149.

While I am at it, I have another question; There is a faction here that would like to use the GCC port for the '430 (see mspgcc.sourceforge.net) so I would like to know if Pumpkin intends to support this compiler as well as IAR, Quadravox, and Imagecraft?

paulw

Postby Salvo Tech Support » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:46 am

Hi Paul.
quote:
There is a faction here
Those gcc guys are always part of a "faction", aren't they? :-)

The short answer is "It's unlcear if/when we will support it, but there's a good chance we will sooner or later."

I have been doing investigative work to discern those items of interest for us re: mspgcc, and it looks to me like the things that we would need (most notably, something akin to IAR's __monitor pragma) are in place for us to do the port.

Note that if you went with Salvo Pro, you'd have complete access to the source code, and you could conceivably beat us to the port if there were someone in that faction who wanted to do the port.

We are under a lot of pressure to roll out some more distributions before ESC 2003 West, and support for mspgcc is not on that list. We will revisit the whole mspgcc issue after the show (in late April).

In the meantime, note that we also support the Rowley Associates CrossWorks for MSP430 compiler as well.

Regards, and I'm glad you got tu6 up and running.

------------------
--------
Salvo Technical Support

--------
Salvo Technical Support
Salvo Tech Support

Return to TI's MSP430