Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

beta 3 & 4 problem

For issues specific to TI's MSP430 line of ultra-low-power microcontrollers, including compilers (e.g. Quadravox AQ430), IDEs (e.g. IAR Embedded Workbench) and development tools (e.g. TI MSP-FET430 Flash Emulation Tool).

beta 3 & 4 problem

Postby Phil W » Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:00 am

Hi,

I have downloaded the beta's 3 & 4 for the MSP430 to try the new cyclic timers. Have not tried them yet, but am building from the src's in my current project.

I get 2 errors for undeclared identifier for "OSTA_STOPPED" & "OSTA_DELAYED" in intvl.c.

regards
Phil

Phil W

Re: beta 3 & 4 problem

Postby aek » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:39 am

Hi Phil.

Which compiler? those two symbols are defined in salvo.h, and we haven't had any problems building any of the libraries.

Could you post the complete "Build Results" in their entirety? That might make it easier for us to debug ...

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby Phil W » Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:46 am

Sorry, it's the IAR compiler.

I opened up the salvo.h file in the inc directory and searched for these defines but none found, I also checked the salvolib.h file - same result.

When I build, I mean I include the salvo src files in my project, as I have never been able to rebuild the libraries to my specs (trouble in understanding how to run make).

In the message window all files compile ok except this one with these two undefined defines.

phil

Phil W

Postby Phil W » Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:52 am

I forgot to show my salvocfg.h contents

#include <msp430x14x.h>

#define OSBYTES_OF_COUNTS 2
#define OSBYTES_OF_DELAYS 2
#define OSBYTES_OF_EVENT_FLAGS 2
#define OSBYTES_OF_TICKS 4
#define OSCOMPILER OSIAR_ICC
#define OSENABLE_BINARY_SEMAPHORES TRUE
#define OSENABLE_EVENT_FLAGS TRUE
#define OSENABLE_EVENT_TRYING TRUE //********
#define OSENABLE_SEMAPHORES TRUE
#define OSENABLE_STACK_CHECKING FALSE
#define OSENABLE_TIMEOUTS TRUE
#define OSEVENT_FLAGS 4
#define OSEVENTS 11
#define OSMAKE_LIBRARY FALSE
#define OSMESSAGE_QUEUES 0
#define OSTARGET OSMSP430
#define OSTASKS 11
#define OSTIMER_PRESCALAR 0
#define OSUSE_LIBRARY FALSE

Phil

Phil W

Postby aek » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:16 am

Hi Phil.

OK, I see what's wrong, though I'm not sure how it happened.

You can get a successful compile by changing the "OSTA_" to "OSTCB_TASK_" in intvl.c.

However, you still won't be able to try the cyclic timer code because ... tada! ... we forgot to include it in Salvo Pro v3.2.0-beta4! Oops! That's why it's a beta.

We will be releasing beta5 by Friday eve (I hope), and it will include cyclic.c through cyclic7.c, as well as have fixed this problem that appeared in intvl.c.

Sorry about all that.

Also, you can and should reduce your salvocfg.h to just this:

code:
#include <msp430x14x.h>

#define OSBYTES_OF_COUNTS 2
#define OSBYTES_OF_DELAYS 2
#define OSBYTES_OF_EVENT_FLAGS 2
#define OSBYTES_OF_TICKS 4
#define OSENABLE_BINARY_SEMAPHORES TRUE
#define OSENABLE_EVENT_FLAGS TRUE
#define OSENABLE_EVENT_TRYING TRUE
#define OSENABLE_SEMAPHORES TRUE
#define OSENABLE_TIMEOUTS TRUE
#define OSEVENT_FLAGS 4
#define OSEVENTS 11
#define OSMESSAGE_QUEUES 0
#define OSTASKS 11

IOW, you only need to define those config options that you set to their non-default values.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby aek » Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:07 am

Hi Phil.

beta5 has been posted, and includes cyclic.c-cyclic7.c, the source for the cyclic timer API functions. Also, these functions are included in all the libraries.

Intvl.c was apparently a holdover from when the timestamp (e.g. OSDelayTS) code was developed. As such, it is not intended for use (OSInterval()) was never included in the libraries) and it will likely be removed from all distributions by the next release. IOW, don't use OSInterval() / intvl.c.

The documentation for the cyclic timers is not yet ready. However, you can probably discern how they work by looking at the prototypes in salvo.h, as well as the source code itself.

Regards,

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby Phil W » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:51 am

Hi once again,

The trouble I am having is with the bash shell.

I am not at all familiar with it. I went to the download site using your link and was over whelmed at all the different options to download. I just accepted what was default and let it go. I allowed it to create an icon for me from which I ran the bash shell.

A dos window opened with the shell running, but this is where I stop.
The screen shows:-

BASH: /bin/grep: Permission denied

PHIL@phil ~
$

I try to change dir etc but it just comes back at me with:-

BASH: CD: /salvo/inc: No such file or directory

It is the Cygwin install on 98se, I know you mention not to use it with 98 but I thought that a least something would happen.

I noted also on starting the shell that it reports a missing .dll file called CYGPCRE.dll, this maybe the cause, I don't know, its how it installed.

I had previously also tried MinGW but I can't remember all the symptoms, but basically I couldn't get it to work either.

I imagine that once the shell worked the make would work as you have intended.

Is it possible to use DOS batch files to do a library build (IAR Compiler)?
I have successfully compiled the src's as lib modules and manually created a lib, but it's very time consuming whenever you change something so I'm sticking with including the src files in my project.

regards
Phil :-)

Phil W

Postby Phil W » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:55 am

Oh, by the way, the file intvl.c is still in the src dir.

Phil

Phil W

Postby aek » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:49 am

Hi Phil.
quote:
Oh, by the way, the file intvl.c is still in the src dir.
The only way for intvl.c to disappear is for you to uninstall Salvo Pro for MSP430 first, then re-install. Intvl.c is no longer in the distribution as of beta6, but it could well be "lingering" from an earlier install. If all else fails, uninstall, wipe the Salvo directory, and re-install beta6.

Regards,

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby aek » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:00 am

Hi Phil.

People's experience with installing Cygwin vary wildly -- some never get it to work, others have no problems. I dunno why. In general, you need the default install plus the utilities and the make stuff -- you can expand all the categories in the Cygwin installer screen and see what's in each group.

The permissions problem -- I dunno. It may be that you have to edit the etc/profile file ...

To change directories, you need to be case-sensitive:

$ cd /salvo/src

if it's on a different drive (e.g. d:), do

$ cd d:/salvo/src

I have in fact generated all of the v3.2.0 MSP430 libraries in Cygwin+Win98, so it should work reasonably well. Our "library-crunching" PCs are Win2k / WinXP Pro machines but they do much larger builds (thousands of libraries at a time).

You can use DOS batch files -- use salvo/src/makeiar430.bat. All it should need is a working make.exe that it can find. Once you get that working, add CLC=N to the batch files or you might even add %1 at the end of the lines and then invoke it as makeiar430.bat CLC=N (but I haven't tried that).

Regards,

------------------

[This message has been edited by aek (edited April 02, 2003).]

-------
aek
aek

Next

Return to TI's MSP430