Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

beta 3 & 4 problem

For issues specific to TI's MSP430 line of ultra-low-power microcontrollers, including compilers (e.g. Quadravox AQ430), IDEs (e.g. IAR Embedded Workbench) and development tools (e.g. TI MSP-FET430 Flash Emulation Tool).

Re: beta 3 & 4 problem

Postby aek » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:03 am

Hi Phil.
quote:
I have never been able to rebuild the libraries to my specs (trouble in understanding how to run make).
v3.2.0-beta6 for MSP430 has been posted. This version contains the new stuff to greatly facilitate the building of custom libraries.

If you have the time and the inclination, please try it out and report back. Instructions are in the .pdf snippet from the upcoming User Manual in the download directory.

Regards,

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby Phil W » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:47 am

Hi,

Solved the Cygwin problem.
Two main reasons:-

(1)
When Cygwin installs it creates you home directory to be in c:cygwinhome<user_name>
This is your root directory and therefore trying to CD /salvo/src will not work as it does not exist.
You need to be explicit and CD c:/salvo/src

(2)
The default install dir for IAR version 1.26B is c:Program FilesIAR Systemsew23430 which cygwin can't handle due to the spaces in the directory path names.
Also the Makefile2 file defines the compiler path to the previous versions install path of c:iarew23430
I overcame this quickly by just copying the compiler to the old path, better fix to probably re-install

Any how the specific library build I wanted worked and links into my project well saving approx 4k over the src include build.

Thanks
Phil

Phil W

Postby aek » Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:37 am

Hi Phil.
quote:
The default install dir for IAR version 1.26B is c:Program FilesIAR Systemsew23430 which cygwin can't handle due to the spaces in the directory path names.
True, but it can handle such pathnames if you use the Win16 8-character truncated version of the pathname, e.g. c:Progra~1etc. We do this for a few of the compilers in Makefile2.
quote:
Any how the specific library build I wanted worked and links into my project well saving approx 4k over the src include build.
Great! So you were able to use the new make target CLC=N methodology to generate your custom library?

In general, a Salvo source-code build and a Salvo library build should be nearly identical in size as long as i) the source-code build is using the same compiler optimizations, ii) only those source-code modules that you really need are nodes in your project and iii) you only have those configuration options enabled that you really want / need. You can see this by comparing the various tutorial projects, e.g. tu6pro and tu6prolib.

But building with a library is so much easier because you don't have to manage any source-code nodes (except mem.c).

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're now running with the configuration you really wanted.

Regards,

------------------

[This message has been edited by aek (edited April 03, 2003).]

-------
aek
aek

Postby Phil W » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:50 am

Noted.

Thanks

Phil W

Postby aek » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:14 am

Hi Phil.

Follow-up: I happen to be building a very large set of libraries in Cygwin + Win98 and much to my surprise, I am not seeing the memory leak problem that I used to see ... so I may remove the caveat re Win98 + Cygwin from the manual ...

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Previous

Return to TI's MSP430