Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

Using the SD Card on a Cubesat Motherboard

If you have a general question or comment regarding the CubeSat kit, post it here.

Using the SD Card on a Cubesat Motherboard

Postby bartandrews123 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:38 am

Hi,

I'm using the CubeSat Kit Development Board together with Salvo and Rowley Crossworks for the MSP430. I was wondering what the easiest way to read/write data to the SD Card is. At the moment, I'm trying to write code in C using CrossWorks. I just want to write a text file to the SD Card to begin with. Any help/sample code would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bart
bartandrews123

Re: Using the SD Card on a Cubesat Motherboard

Postby Andrew » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:15 am

Hi Bart.

Every CubeSat Kit comes with the Example\...\SD\SD1 application, that illustrates writing text to a text file on the SD Card.

Be sure to update all of your Pumpkin software together to the latest revision.
Andrew
Site Admin

Postby bartandrews123 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:05 am

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I can't seem to find the Example\...\SD\SD1 path. My directory path goes:

C:\Pumpkin\Salvo\Example\MSP430\...

After this you can go two different ways:

MSP430X\TI_MSP430_FET\Tut\Tut5\... OR MSP430x1xx\TI_MSP430_FET\Tut\Tut5\...

The is no SD or SD1 folder anywhere here.

Am I looking in the right place?
If so, would it be possible to download/view a new copy of the example folder?

Thanks

Bart
bartandrews123

Postby Andrew » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:04 am

Therefore:

1. Your organization purchased its CubeSat Kit before the EFFS-THIN software was included (early 2007). You can purchase it as an add-on, P/N 709-00371,

OR

2. You never installed it. Find your download access information, and install the software -- ALL the software (Salvo RTOS, CubeSat Kit Software, CubeSat Kit EFFS-THIN software, and Pumpkin MSP430 Libraries). Contact your organization's CubeSat Kit point of Contact for the download information and password.
Andrew
Site Admin

Postby bartandrews123 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:59 am

Hi Andrew,

I've managed to write a text file to the SD card now using some sample code I found. (The code is called SD_project and it was modified by you I believe.)

However, I cannot make the text file bigger than 512B (the native SD card sector size).

How should I go about making the text file bigger?

Also, once the program has written the first text file (DAT00001.TXT) it continues to write the second text file (DAT00002.TXT) over the first one, etc. I was at a stage where the files were being written side by side (like they should be) but I must have changed something with the code and now they always overwrite eachother. How do I stop the consecutive text files from overwriting?

Thanks again for your help.

Bart
bartandrews123

Postby Andrew » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:38 am

No.

There is nothing in the current software called SD_Project.

There was once upon a time an interest in using some other software to write to SD cards ... however, that software proved to be not of professional caliber.

Please re-read and do what I outlined in my previous emails. The current test program (SD1) that is installed via the csk_effs_thin installer writes files of arbitrary size. If you let it run for days or weeks on end, the file will grow to megabytes in size.
Andrew
Site Admin

Return to CubeSat General