Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

Download to flash

If you have a general question or comment regarding the CubeSat kit, post it here.

Download to flash

Postby Albert » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:23 am

I am testing debugging programs using TI MSP-FET430UIF and CrossStudio. Now I would like to download the program to the flash to run the program in the MSP430, without debugger nor PC.

I have tried to do the following, in CrossStudio:
-Targets Window
-TI MSP-FET430UIF
- Download File
- Download CrossWorks Exectubale File

It shows no error (even the "verify file" option says it is ok!), but the program in the development board doesn't run. What am I doing wrong?

Albert

Re: Download to flash

Postby aek » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:08 am

What makes you think it's not running?

If you succesfully download / program, then verify, you've got past the hard part

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby Albert » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:28 am

I was wondering if the program was running right, so I built a very simple one. It only enables and disables 5V_SW every second. When I run this from the debugger and I can see the 5V_SW led blinking slowly.

When I proceed as I explained in my previous post, I never see the led switched on. That's why I think it doesn't work.

I assume that after downloading/verifing, I must disconnect the development board, and when I conect the power supply again, or after pressing the reset button, I expect that the program begins. Am I right?

Albert

Postby aek » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:12 am

What does "run from the debugger" mean? Running with the FET connected and being within the debugging "mode" of the IDE?

So, build, Start Debugging works? If you stop debugging and e.g. hit Reset on the Dev Board, it should also work. No need to physically disconnect the FET, though (logically) disconnecting the FET via the Targets window certainly won't hurt. The rest of your assumptions are correct, but needlessly complicated -- just Build, Start Debugging, and Go.

Relative to your instructions in the first post, you also have to actually tell the program to run (by pressing the "play" button (triangle)). The circle at the bottom right corner of the IDE -- next to the MSP430Fxxx ID string -- will go from red to green when you start running.

Note that you cannot have any debug_printf() etc. calls in your program unless the FET is connected.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby Albert » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:12 am

"Note that you cannot have any debug_printf() etc. calls in your program unless the FET is connected." This sentence is the clue!

I just disabled (debug) communications setting ENABLE_COMMS constant to 0 (which actually makes no debug_printf() to appear).

Now it works perfect, as you said. It wasn't hard to solve, but it was making me crazy.

Thank you very much.

Albert

Return to CubeSat General