Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

SALVO for assembler

Have an idea on how to make Salvo better? Post it here!

SALVO for assembler

Postby aek » Wed Nov 06, 2002 9:21 am

Salvo was originally written in assembly, but converted to C so that it would be portable and extendable and configurable and ...

I wonder if there might be a way to automatically generate assembler-compatible libraries from the C code ... that way it would be easy to do. Without it, it's too much work.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Re: SALVO for assembler

Postby luben » Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:56 pm

Hello,

If you ask yourself why SALVO is not so wide used, maybe one of the answers is that it needs on the first place C compiler (that costs money).. and the compiler should be high quality.. not like cheap 30$ compilers.

Think about the idea to make SALVO for assembler. You bring it like compiled library, the user knows the variables and subroutines. And of course you sell it for different processors.. like pizza on piece - cheap and tasty... for 4 or 5 tasks... with 2 or 3 events... depend on the money.

I think that if such SALVO exists many my friends will open their pockets and will buy the assembler kernel.

regards
Luben

luben

Re: SALVO for assembler

Postby luben » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:01 am

Hello,

If you compile the code on fixed addresses - like for exemaple is the ICD debbuger code for PIC16F87X and to set the varianbles of SALVO to fixed location... then maybe it's not so hard.

But I agree that there is no portability ... the way is from C to assembler.

For sure such assembler RTOS will be welcomed - don't forget that the biggest part of the programmers don't use C, but work with the payfree Microchip assembler and Linker.

Regards
Luben

Regards
Luben

luben

Return to Feature Requests