Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

STEP 7 implementation

Have an idea on how to make Salvo better? Post it here!

STEP 7 implementation

Postby luben » Sun May 05, 2002 9:12 am

Hello, from this site you can download the description of STEP 7 programming language.
http://www4.ad.siemens.de/dnl/TEyNTY5NwAA_1123338/S7prv51_e.pdf

Regards
Luben

luben

Re: STEP 7 implementation

Postby luben » Sun May 05, 2002 11:05 am

Hello,

Maybe you know that in industrial control is very often used the standard of programming STEP7. I found that SALVO perfectly could be implemented like kernel for such programming language for small controllers.

Did you thought about this idea? Do you have some planes to connect SALVO with STEP 7 language?

If SALVO has some libraries for such language implemantation this will only increase the value of the product. Maybe you know that all what is connected with industrial processes is very expensive and valuable (like medecine too).

Regards
Luben

luben

Postby luben » Mon May 06, 2002 3:37 am

Maybe I should rename the issue to: SALVO and industrial control automation.

STEP 7 is maybe too compluicated to be implemented into PIC small processors, but SALVO with some additional libraries and services could bring the same power as STEP 7 to the users. I don't know how to formulate the target, but maybe should be like:
- to make some kind of "language" for easy description of blocks, delays, timers, inputs/outputs, tasks , intertask communication and their behavior.

After such language exists the user could very quickly program the module, without carrying about the hardware side of the module.

I even saw a controller from SMC (Japan - pneumatics) that could be easy programmed with extremely simple graphic editor - you drag and drop blocks like inputs, delays, comparators... then you program the module and you have excellent controler.

As I told you, industrial business needs exactly something like SALVO. BTW, STEP 7 has some kind of internal RTOS too.

Regards
Luben

luben

Postby aek » Mon May 06, 2002 4:00 am

My God!

The Siemens STEP 7 Manual is almost as long as the Salvo User Manual!

:-)

How does STEP7 compare to, say, Fanuc?

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby luben » Mon May 06, 2002 9:04 am

Hello,

I'm just new in the business of servo control and industrial. For sure all new Fanuc products support STEP 7 language (like OMRON one).

I lost a lot of time to made a pneumatic controller and maybe this was the reason to start looking for RTOS and SALVO. Even the simpliest process needs multitasking. After I feel like "fish in the water" into SALVO I just can say that I see the best future of SALVO is into industrial control - it covers almost all possible needs in this area.

But SALVO is more program oriented, then STEP 7. As I told you I saw the way of OMRON programming of controllers - you just drag and drop a functional boxes and connections, set manually some parameters like delays, thresholds, analog range.. and ready. Maybe for industrial control you should issue some "SALVO Industrial" version. One of the problem is that they use not standard PIC processors, but special, even with 2 or 3 multiprocessor units. From other side I see that even with simple PIC processor I can obtain the same functionality, like with some "heavy" industrial processor.

In all cases you should think about this idea - industrial is the best target for SALVO. In more embedded application you can pass without RTOS, but into industrial control it's almost impossible without RTOS.

Regards
Luben

luben

Return to Feature Requests