Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

GCC, Linux and demo version of Salvo

If you're interested in purchasing Salvo but have some questions you want answered first, post them here.

GCC, Linux and demo version of Salvo

Postby mcruse » Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:51 am

Sorry, I forgot that little detail.

AVR and MegaAVR are the architectures that I am interested in.

Thanks

mcruse

Re: GCC, Linux and demo version of Salvo

Postby aek » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:13 am

AVR and MegaAVR are supported.

They're in the current release, it's just that the Reference Manul and App Note to go along with it aren't ready yet.

If you're pretty comfortable with AVR-GCC, go ahead and download and install Salvo Lite for AVR on a PC to try it out.

For Salvo for AVR-GCC, project building is driven by a makefile system. The project folders are in the SYSY subdirectories of salvo ut. Issue

$ make

to make each project. You can probably follow the makefile(s) in each directory to see how each project is built.

We hope to add the documentayion to the Salvo for AVR release in 2-3 weeks.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby mcruse » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:48 am

Thanks,

I did download the demo/lite version of Salvo. It seems that it is contained in a self extracting archive that Linux unzip does not understand.

By 'version for this configuration' I also meant to ask if there is a tar or tgz distribution.

It's no big deal though, I can just extract it on windows and move it over I guess.

Thanks again.

By the way, I bump into someone with your initials in the antique DEC world every now and again. Is that you?

mcruse

Postby aek » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:00 am

quote:
By 'version for this configuration' I also meant to ask if there is a tar or tgz distribution.
Oh, sorry, I didn't understand it that way. We currently only have Windows installers. Install-to-Windows-and-move is your best bet.
quote:
By the way, I bump into someone with your initials in the antique DEC world every now and again. Is that you?
as in PDP-11's and VAX's, etc? No, it's not me. :-)

------------------

[This message has been edited by aek (edited September 15, 2003).]

-------
aek
aek

Postby mcruse » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:07 am

Well my question was pretty non-specific so don't be sorry.

Thanks for the help.

mcruse

Postby aek » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:09 am

Lemme elaborate a little on the Salvo installer ... There's a lot going on behind the scenes of the Salvo installers when they are run on Win98/ME/NT/2000/XP PCs. E.g. setting up Program Item entries, launching sub-installers, comparing file dates, removing previous installations, etc. I'm not aware of any package installers for Linux with the level of functionality of Installer VISE (what we use).

Maybe what we could do for Linux users is create some script or something that is run on the PC after the Installer is complete, and it creates a portable tarball or whatever than the Linux user can pull over to the Linux machine.

I'll investigate that further ...

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby mcruse » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:16 am

Is GCC on linux fully supported yet?
If not, is it on your roadmap?
If so, do you have a demo version for this configuration?

Thanks

mcruse

Postby mcruse » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:11 am

We use an installer made by a company called Zero G. www.zerog.com. It is free, cross platform because it is written in Java. That of course could be a problem given Microsofts Java policy.

If all the source files are in a single directory tree it might be straight forward. I'll do some investigating as well tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

There seem to be quite a few GCC AVR on Linux users so this could be a worthwhile effort. We do a lot of AVR work and use GCC AVR on Linux exclusively.

I hope this can work as so far Salvo looks quite good.

mcruse

Postby aek » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:19 am

Hello.

For which target(s)? x86? AVR? MSP430?

AVR is supported, though the distribution is missing documentation, etc. Full support will follow soon.

MSPGCC is not yet supported, but may be in the future.

x86 is sorta-supported.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby aek » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:45 am

Interesting ...

My main concern is how building Linux-compatible installers fits into the installer release process here at Pumpkin. It needs to be automated as part of the normal build process, etc.

All of Salvo's files are in a single tree, so that's good.

In general, it's entirely OK to simply wipe the Salvo tree when updating to a new version. BUT, that doesn't work when you've got two seperate (e.g. PIC and MSP430) Salvo installations. That's what our Windows installers take care of ... so you can have any combination of Lite, tiny, SE, LE and Pro distributions across multiple targets all co-existing in the same tree with the right global files up-to-date, etc.

Anyway, let me know what you find. Colin O'Flynn (active at AVRFreaks) is the point man on the Salvo-to-AVR-GCC port, and he's waiting for us to roll his latest stuff (mainly docs) into the distribution. He's using Salvo + AVR-GCC right now on a project -- seems pretty happy ;-)

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Next

Return to Pre-Sales Inquiries