Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

Distribution License?

If you're interested in purchasing Salvo but have some questions you want answered first, post them here.

Distribution License?

Postby JBevis » Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:34 am

According to the readme.pdf that comes with the demo package, purchase of the software conveys "Rights to distribute an unlimited number of your own product(s) incorporating Salvo". However, quickly thereafter in the text the purchase of "distribution licenses" is mentioned. I have found no other clarifications of what this distinction is. What are the details of the distribution license? If we use Salvo in a product, do we need to (or not need to) pay for a distribution license?

------------------
Jeff Bevis
jbevis@graviton.com

Jeff Bevis
jbevis@graviton.com
JBevis

Re: Distribution License?

Postby aek » Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:32 am

Hello Jeff.

Do you have an earlier version of Salvo (e.g. v2.1.0)? The current release is v3.0.x.

In the current license agreement (salvoSoftwareLicenseAgreement.pdf, v1.2) there is not any mention of a Distribution License. There was in the earlier version (v1.1), and I suspect that's what you're looking at.

In any case, you do not need to pay for a distribution license. Salvo is royalty-free, and is licensed per-seat. So, if you have two engineers working with Salvo, you would need to purchase two copies of Salvo, and that would entitle you to ship as many Salvo-enabled products as you want without any further payments to Pumpkin. After a year (the term of the support contract) and beyond, you can still ship products w/out payment. If you want upgrades or support, you need to renew your license (renewals are around 40% of full-price).

I hope to have answered your questions satisfactorily. If you have any more, please don't hesitate to ask ...

Regards,

P.S. Where did you find this earlier v2.1.0 version of Salvo?

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby JBevis » Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:06 am

Thanks, that clarifies the issue completely for me. It's what I was hoping to hear! Now I shouldn't have any worries getting management onboard for using Salvo in our product.

The text which raised this question came from the installation of the 8051 family freeware version, which I downloaded yesterday from Pumpkin's site. The file is salvodoc eadme eadme.pdf. See the section on "Purchasing the Software" on page 2. The file indicates that it was last updated on 02-24-02, at the footer of page 1.

Thanks for the quick and direct reply!

Jeff Bevis
jbevis@graviton.com
JBevis

Postby JBevis » Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:09 am

One more interesting point: the version I downloaded and installed yesterday did not include the file salvoSoftwareLicenseAgreement.pdf. Maybe this package didn't get updated correctly. How can I tell which exact version that I have installed?
Jeff Bevis
jbevis@graviton.com
JBevis

Postby Salvo Tech Support » Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:20 am

Hi Jeff.

Thanks for the info -- the Readme is indeed out-of-date w/respect to licensing and we'll update it for the next release.

There is currently no elegant way to figure out which version you have. You can open salvoincsalvo.h and scroll down to line 44 or so and read off the MAJOR, MINOR and SUBMINOR version numbers, e.g. 3, 0, 4 means v3.0.4.

I just installed salvo-lite-8051-3.0.4.exe here and it did leave the salvoSoftwareLicenseAgreement.pdf in the proper place. So I'm not sure why you had that problem ...

Regards,

------------------
--------
Salvo Technical Support
Please request all tech support through the Forums.

--------
Salvo Technical Support
Salvo Tech Support

Postby JBevis » Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:33 am

I have verified that my installation file is salvo-lite-8051-3.0.4.exe (5,584,668 bytes). I reinstalled it, to the folder C:program filessalvo, and once again did not get the license file. Can you email a copy of this file to me?

------------------
Jeff Bevis
jbevis@graviton.com

Jeff Bevis
jbevis@graviton.com
JBevis

Postby aek » Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:54 am

Hi Jeff.

1) Don't install Salvo to Program FilesSalvo because all of the example projects expect Salvo to be in salvo and you may have problems getting things to work. Much better to install to salvo instead. We are able to use relative paths in uVision2, but ... I'd recommend avoiding any headaches by going the default route for Salvo's location.

2) The license file is not in salvodoc, btw -- just in salvo, in case you were looking in doc. I'll email you one separately ...

3) What OS are you running? The installer places the license file in a manner unique to that file, so maybe it's an OS issue.

Regards,

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby JBevis » Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:36 am

Since my last post, we have purchased and installed the Pro version of Salvo with the same result. Very strange!

I ran a search of the entire Salvo directory, and didn't find the file. The only filename containing "license" is "license.c".

Also, I am running Windows 2000.

My email access is down at the moment, but I will look for your email when service comes back up. Thanks!

------------------
Jeff Bevis
jbevis@graviton.com

Jeff Bevis
jbevis@graviton.com
JBevis

Postby Salvo Tech Support » Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:48 am

Hi Jeff.

That is very strange -- we have not encountered any problems when installing to Win2k machines.

------------------
--------
Salvo Technical Support

--------
Salvo Technical Support
Salvo Tech Support

Return to Pre-Sales Inquiries