Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

Disabling Interrupts

For issues specific to Atmel's AVR and MegaAVR microcontrollers, including Atmel AVRStudio and ImageCraft's ICCAVR C compiler.

Disabling Interrupts

Postby looseman » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:56 am

Is there any way to prevent Salvo from disabling interrupts? It is necessary in my application to service the TWI interrupt ASAP when it occurs and I see in the listing file that a number of the Salvo functions disable interrupts for a while. This delays the servicing of the TWI interrupt and is causing problems in my application.
looseman

Re: Disabling Interrupts

Postby aek » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:18 am

By default, Salvo disables interrupts globally. This allows you to put Salvo services in any and all ISRs without fear of corrupting any of Salvo's global objects.

The Salvo libraries are pre-compiled with this setting (interrupts are disabled globally).

With Salvo Pro, you can change Salvo's control of interrupts in critical sections from the default (disable interrupts globally) to application-specific (only disable those interrupts that call Salvo services). You do this in a Salvo Pro source-code build, or by building custom libraries with Salvo Pro.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby gregarious » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:16 am

So does this mean that I cannot use any interrupts unless I buy Salvo Pro?
gregarious

Postby aek » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:14 am

No. Please re-read the original question.

You need Salvo Pro only in those cases where your application requires zero interrupt latency. Few applications have such a requirement.

Please see http://www.pumpkininc.com/content/doc/press/pumpkin_supsi2005.pdf for an in-depth treatise on this issue.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Return to Atmel AVR and MegaAVR