Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

SALVO compatibility with old versions

Have an idea on how to make Salvo better? Post it here!

SALVO compatibility with old versions

Postby luben » Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:57 am

Hello,

You wrote:

Salvo should always be installed into the salvo directory, otherwise many projects will not work, because they expect salvo to be the root of the salvo installation

.... did I understand it correctly? I never install SALVO into SALVO directory, but I have SALVO22, SALVO30, etc. directories. I mean - SALVO never have to be installed in just "SALVO" directory, if you don't have backup of your programs (to restore them after such instalation).

In short - if SALVO installer finds that SALVO already exists it should have smart approach and have to offer SALVO30, or some other unical directory to the new version. SALVO is not Windows, where is recommended to do instalation over old directory.

Regards
Luben

luben

Re: SALVO compatibility with old versions

Postby luben » Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:34 am

Hello,

Here is something that could be improved in new SALVO instalation programs. When you install the new version (MindVision installer) of SALVO it always try to install the files into SALVO directory. It's OK when you do first time installation. But imagina that you have projects (already working and tested) on SALVO2.0. After the instalation of SALVO3 the old projects will stop working (due to some minor changes of the SALVO sintacs). It's possible that even this projects could never be compiled again (if the old SALVO gives small RAM/ROM size).

So, maybe it is good to think about other approach to install the new versions (like I do) - just to put them in different directories like SALVO22, SALVO30, etc. The current instalation is just dangerous, if you just press OK,OK, OK... and in one moment you'll lose the old working projects, without knowing that (well, I didnt' make such mistake, but was 2 times near this "break point").

Best regards
Luben

luben

Postby aek » Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:52 am

Hi Luben.

The Salvo installer prompts you if it finds an existing Salvo installation. You can have the installer move your existing installation to another directory (e.g. salvo22).

Salvo should always be installed into the salvo directory, otherwise many projects will not work, because they expect salvo to be the root of the salvo installation.

We will try to improve the wording and screens of the installer to present this issue better.

Regards,

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby aek » Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:19 am

Hi Luben.

Salvo should be installed the the salvo directory because various IDEs save absolute pathnames, and will not build their projects correctly if Salvo isn't located in the salvo directory. If you don't use any of the supplied projects, then it's not a problem ... :-)

In fact, we go to quite a bit of trouble to ensure that Salvo projects work on any drive they're installed on, as long as it's salvo, e.g. c:salvo or d:salvo or ...

quote:
In short - if SALVO installer finds that SALVO already exists it should have smart approach and have to offer SALVO30, or some other unical directory to the new version. SALVO is not Windows, where is recommended to do instalation over old directory.
It's important for Salvo to always be installed in the salvo directory. The installer will give you a choice to move any existing Salvo installation in salvo to another directory.

Regards,

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Return to Feature Requests