Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

Differences between LE and Pro - spesifically Advanced Config

If you're interested in purchasing Salvo but have some questions you want answered first, post them here.

Differences between LE and Pro - spesifically Advanced Config

Postby Stromlo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:52 am

Hi

I am developing for the Pic24, and decided to go for an RTOS.

Now, I decided on Salvo. But can't decide between LE and Pro.

The Features Matrix dates to 2003, whereas Salvo 4 has (iirc) only been released in 2005.

The user manual (v4.1.2 prelim) states that you need Pro to change, amongst other things,
OSBIG_SEMAPHORES. Now the Pic24 being a 16bit OS, and having 16bit Integers, would I specifically need Pro, over LE, to change this config option to go for 16bit Semaphores?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Stromlo (edited October 07, 2008).]

Stromlo

Re: Differences between LE and Pro - spesifically Advanced Config

Postby aek » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:30 am

This is an excellent question!

We decided some time ago (and have chosen to stick with the decision) that all Salvo libraries are built with "smallest-size" objects (typically 8 bits). We did this so that there would be direct application-level compatibility across all Salvo distributions -- e.g. calls to OS_Delay() on a PIC16 are the same as calls to OS_Delay() on an ARM7.

There are disadvantages to this approach (some code is actually larger on bigger processors because byte-masking must be applied by the compiler). But we chose this approach for maximum compatibility.

All of these issues can be resolved with Salvo Pro, which opens up the configurability of the Salvo source code to issues like OSBIG_SEMAPHORES, etc.

So, you'll want to get Pro.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Re: Differences between LE and Pro - spesifically Advanced Config

Postby Stromlo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:44 am

Thanks for the reply!
Stromlo

Return to Pre-Sales Inquiries