Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

How to download code to the CubeSat?

If you have a general question or comment regarding the CubeSat kit, post it here.

How to download code to the CubeSat?

Postby Albert » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:36 am

I have been working with the developement board, using both TI's MSP-FET430UIF and Rowley CrossStudio for MSP430. I have no problem to debug or to download code to the device through the MSP-FET430UIF device interface.

Since the FM430 board in the Cubesat has no JTAG connection, I think that the microcontroller has to be programmed via the USB interface provided. How can I download a project this way? Can I do this using CrossStudio or do I need a different application?

Thanks.

Albert

Re: How to download code to the CubeSat?

Postby aek » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:10 am

The FM430 does have a JTAG connector -- it's just a different connector than you're used to. J2 is a FPC connector, that interfaces through a JFPC (included in your Kit) to a "standard" 2x7 header.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby aek » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:14 am

One more thing -- I would caution you to treat the FM430 as flight hardware and not to develop on it -- that's what the Dev Boards are for. If you damage the FM430 (e.g. by blowing up an output pin via a short to GND), it is not cheap to repair. Blow the MSP430 on the Dev Board, and it's just a simple chip swap ...

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby Albert » Thu May 14, 2009 6:49 am

I have folowed your instructions and I tried to download my program to an FM430 board. What I am exactly doing is exactly the same I do with the development board, but I replace the JTAG connector connected to the MSP-FET430UIF with a JFPC connector. CrossStudio shows an error message when I try to connect to the FM430 (even before try to download): "Can't identify target device: no error".

What am I doing wrong? Any idea?

Thanks

Albert

Postby aek » Thu May 14, 2009 7:51 am

You need to power the FM430 -- either via external +5V power, or via USB.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby Albert » Fri May 15, 2009 6:25 am

I have tried it with +5V and also with USB power connected but it didn't work. As far as I know, I should do exactly the same I do with the development board but now I use the JFPC connector. It seems to be easy, but it doesn't work yet ...

I have also tried to dowload the Pumpkin program for the Pumpkin EPS. It didn't work. I think I'm doing something wrong with Crossworks or with the connectors.

Thanks again.

Albert

Postby aek » Fri May 15, 2009 8:49 am

It does sound like it ... make sure that the flat ribbon connector is properly seated in both the FM430 and the little programming JFPC programming adapter, and that in your case (FM430 <-> JFPC) everything is "right side up", and powered via USB or +5V.

And make sure you're not doing something silly, like choosing the LPT FET in Crossworks by accident.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby Albert » Thu May 21, 2009 5:09 am

It was a hardware problem with the JFPC programming adapter. I replaced this adpater with a new one and now it works.
Albert

Postby aek » Thu May 21, 2009 7:30 am

Hmmm ... can you check if it was made by SoftBaugh or Pumpkin, and report back?

Assuming it came from us (we used to use SoftBaugh, now we have our own), please send an email to support@pumpkininc.com identifying your CubeSat team and we'll mail you a replacement.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby cpbridges » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:55 am

I'm also having a similar issue with "Can't identify target device. No error". The dev board is powered fine.

Installed the drivers and check the device manager in XP to find the port (COM5) and use CrossWorks V 1.4 Build 1 (not Build 4).

I also have a parallel cable too, which AN do I need to install the drivers for that.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Chris

cpbridges

Next

Return to CubeSat General