Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

No response from HyperTerminal

If you have a general question or comment regarding the CubeSat kit, post it here.

No response from HyperTerminal

Postby ran10 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi, I am just started my project on cubesat , My development board contains PIC24 mcu. I had fallowed all the instructions on cubesat user manual to connect the development board to PC through HyperTerminal via USB interface but I could not find any response from it.

I had used COM3 port and configure the communication port for 9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit and no handshaking.
Please let me know where I am doing mistake.
ran10

Re: No response from HyperTerminal

Postby Andrew » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:49 pm

In Device Manager, do you see the Pumpkin CubeSat Kit showing up as COM3? You must connect to whichever COM port it shows up on, via the Pumpkin USB driver (available on our website: http://www.cubesatkit.com/driver/usb/windows/).

Sometimes in HyperTerminal, you need to disconnect and reconnect to get it to work properly.

Also, assuming you are running the Test code (as-delivered), you will see the Rx LED next to the USB flash when HyperTerminal is correctly connected.
Andrew
Site Admin

Postby ran10 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Thank you Andrew, I had connected to a different COM port but now its working.
I can see the TX led glowing when I send a text file but I cannot see any receiving RX led can you mention which Test code I have to run
ran10

Postby Andrew » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:34 pm

There should be code running in it already (it leaves Pumpkin that way) ...

In Pumpkin\CubeSatKit\Example ... there is both a Test1 and an SD1 application -- once you build them successfully, you can (re-)program the PIC24 and it will spit stuff out via the USB.
Andrew
Site Admin

Postby ran10 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi,
I had read the cubesat user manual and fallowed instructions as it is.....I am using PIC24 on PSPM D with mplab icd3
1. when I connect the 5v power supply to J1 I can see two led's glowing its +5v_sys and vcc but I cannot see any led at all on flight muc to glow as it was mentioned in manual that when we connect 5v power to db then the led on flight mcu should start blink when the program runs successfully
2. I had connected the Mplab ICD3 to the development board for running the test1 code from cubesat/pumpkin/examples...This is what I get when I tried to program it.

MPLAB ICD 3 detected
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 3...
Running self test...
Self test completed
Firmware Suite Version...... 01.26.71
Firmware type......................dsPIC33F/24F/24H
MPLAB ICD 3 Connected.
Target Detected
Device ID Revision = 00000001

Programming...
Programming/Verify complete

Verifying...
Verify complete

I had did up to hear... I still don't know whether this a right process or not.

If I run the test code successfully then what output will I get :?: How to know the development board working fine or not :?:

3. can I connect both usb and 5v power supply at a time
4. when I connect the usb I cannot see any led glowing and when I connect the Mplab ICD3 using usb it not able to detect target... it says

MPLAB ICD 3 detected
MPLAB ICD 3 Connected.
ICD3Err0045: You must connect to a target device to use
MPLAB ICD 3.
ran10

Postby Andrew » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:12 pm

ran10 wrote:Hi,
I had read the cubesat user manual and fallowed instructions as it is.....I am using PIC24 on PSPM D with mplab icd3
1. when I connect the 5v power supply to J1 I can see two led's glowing its +5v_sys and vcc but I cannot see any led at all on flight muc to glow as it was mentioned in manual that when we connect 5v power to db then the led on flight mcu should start blink when the program runs successfully

The PSPM D does not have such an LED -- only the PSPM for the MSP430. So don't look for an LED.

2. I had connected the Mplab ICD3 to the development board for running the test1 code from cubesat/pumpkin/examples...This is what I get when I tried to program it.

MPLAB ICD 3 detected
Running self test...
Self test completed
MPLAB ICD 3 Connected.
Target Detected
Device ID Revision = 00000001

Programming...
Programming/Verify complete

Verifying...
Verify complete

I had did up to hear... I still don't know whether this a right process or not.

If I run the test code successfully then what output will I get :?: How to know the development board working fine or not :?:

You have successfully programmed the PIC24 on the PSPM.

The behavior of the program is documented in the abstract.txt that is part of the project -- have you read it?

3. can I connect both usb and 5v power supply at a time.

Yes.

4. when I connect the usb I cannot see any led glowing and when I connect the Mplab ICD3 using usb it not able to detect target... it says

MPLAB ICD 3 detected
MPLAB ICD 3 Connected.
ICD3Err0045: You must connect to a target device to use
MPLAB ICD 3.

??

The MPLAB ICD3 is connected by USB to the PC.

The Development Board is connected by USB to the PC.

You have already successfully connected the ICD 3 in part 2. above.

You have to have HyperTerminal open at 9600,N,8,1 with the Pumpkin CubeSat Kit drivers installed, before you will be able to communicate with the Dev Board. And you have to ensure that the PIC24 is running. The abstract.txt has a connection diagram in it. When HyperTerminal is properly connected (via USB or via the DB-9 cable), and the PIC24 is running, you will get text out of both of them.
Andrew
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:13 pm

The Pumpkin CubeSat drivers are here: http://www.cubesatkit.com/driver/usb/windows/
Andrew
Site Admin

Postby ran10 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the reply, I have studied the abstract.txt and followed the Block diagram in it. I had got the message from hyper terminal when I connect through USB. We are getting the response only when we connect both the USB and Power supply. When running and connected as per the block diagram, we are unable to get J8: a user debug terminal. As you mentioned, when HyperTerminal is properly connected (via USB or via the DB-9 cable), and the PIC24 is running, you will get text out of both of them, we are getting the J2: a status display, with timestamps in system ticks, with an informational message showing the temperature. We are unable to get J8: a user debug terminal and could not find the use of null-modem cable.
ran10

Return to CubeSat General