Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

New Ports

If you have a general question or comment regarding Salvo, post it here.

New Ports

Postby Phil W » Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:48 am

Hi,

Do you have any intention of doing a port to the Atmel AVR Family?

My preferred compiler is the codevision.

Phil

Phil W

Re: New Ports

Postby aek » Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:57 am

Hi Phil.

The Salvo for AVR port is currently underway. The first release will support the ImageCraft compiler (ICCAVR).

We haven't yet done any ports with CodeVision, but we will be approaching them re AVR and some of their other compilers.

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby aek » Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:59 am

Hi Phil.

BTW, what does your AVR development environment look like? Does the CodeVision compiler integrate seamlessly into AVRStudio?

ANd which AVR(s) do you typically work with?

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby Phil W » Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:23 am

Hi,

Sorry its taken so long to come back to you.

It's a bit hard to describe what the environment looks like, but it is a little different to use than other environments. Not so much in the writing of the code but more of what happens in compilation.

The libraries are not aproached in the same way as say IAR, in a broard sense. Like, IAR's librarys are a single file of obj modules that can be linked in. Codevision libraries are really separate library files for each definition header, eg stdio.h math.h....etc. The library file actually contains the src code (asm or C) and when you include it's header file the compiler pulls in the library file and compiles it with the project.
The compiler basically pulls all src files in together and produces a single obj file output, no individual obj files for each .c or .asm file.

It does integrate with AVRStudio but I've not used it at that level to simulate my code. It may be good for the mega parts for JTAG debugging but I havn't used these devices as yet.

I currently generate an output file and use a second program/hardware, not supported by code vision, to simply program the device.

I have only used two of their devices to date the 2313 and the 8535. The price for the JTAG interface turned me away a little as the msp430 in this sense was more attractive.

However, I find the devices simple to use as with the compiler.

regards
Phil

Phil W

Postby aek » Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:41 am

Hi Phil.
quote:
The compiler basically pulls all src files in together and produces a single obj file output, no individual obj files for each .c or .asm file.
This could be a real problem for us. And if I understand you correctly, it's also the reason why we don't support the CCS compiler for PICs yet, either.

See, a compiler that doesn't have a real linker presents a big problem for us, as we cannot create a Salvo Lite (or, realistically, anything short of Salvo Pro) for said compiler, because to do so would require that we release all of the source Salvo code.

For a compiler vendor, that's not an issue, because while they may be somewhat uncomfortable with releasing their library source, they don't release their compiler's source, and since the compiler is a binary, they can also control how long it works (e.g. demo versions).

But since Salvo is either libraries or source code, we can't do that.

I will approach CodeVision (as I have heard good things about their products) and see if there is a workable solution.

Regards,

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Postby Phil W » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:46 am

Great!!!!

Looking forward to developments.

Phil

Phil W

Postby aek » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:15 am

Hi Phil.

I have followed-up with CodeVision and it appears that it is possible to encrypt CAVR libraries.

We will be getting a copy of CAVR to evaluate the feasibility of doing the port ...

I'm also on AVRFreaks now!

Regards,

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Return to General