Pumpkin, Inc.

Pumpkin User Forums

Embedded SALVO or practical way of using SALVO

If you want to share a clever way of using Salvo in your embedded application, post it here.

Embedded SALVO or practical way of using SALVO

Postby luben » Sun Jun 23, 2002 2:17 am

Hello,

After working enough time with SALVO I could say only the best words for this product. Well, it needs from the programmer to change totally his style of programming, but the reward is - increadibly fast and reliable programming, all projects became much, much faster. What I believed was impossible to do several years ago, now with SALVO could do for weeks, or less.

My idea is to make some library of working projects, or pieces of them (tasks) that could be easy implemented into new sources. I know that SALVO has several such demo projects, but I feel that they should be much more. Maybe the best idea is to make tested and proved tasks for many things - RS232, analog reading, LCD displays, DALLAS protocols and any other "wicked" devices. This will increase the power of SALVO into practical programming. Immagine that you need LCD display communication - you put the task, you add some events, etc,.... and you're ready.

I'm ready to share some of my best projects, written with SALVO. The problem is that the tasks should be written in special, standard style, should be rewritten to make it more universal. This is not easy job, but for sure will be welcomed from the SALVO users.

Regards
Luben

luben

Re: Embedded SALVO or practical way of using SALVO

Postby aek » Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:11 am

Hi Luben.

We would certainly welcome user contributions.

I'll point out that we won't be able to test them thoroughly or ensure that they are up-to-date. So, they will be "AS-IS".

It would probably be best for us to have the projects / code available from our website, with email and http links to the contributor so that people can always find the latest versions.

What do you think?

------------------

-------
aek
aek

Re: Embedded SALVO or practical way of using SALVO

Postby luben » Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:54 am

Hello,

I think that the project should be "ready for use". I mean - it needs electrical scheme in PDF format, detailed source code, HEX code, if printed board images - OK too. One text file with detailed information about the project is absolutely necessary.

To use links is not good idea - links are changing (who will check if the links are alive or not?). In my opinion is better to have all information on one place (FTP or HTTP) it will not consume so much space.

My idea is to imagine and form some rules for how to share the projects (style of programming and comments). I'm far away from the idea that you could test the projects. I used to work many years ago over one big project for testing programs with random patterns.... just can tell you that pratically no one program could be classified like "TOTALLY WORKING", even after long tests. So, if the user had found reliable behaviour - let this is the criteria that it's OK... "AS IS".

With the time this library can grow and will add practical value to SALVO. Don't forget that SALVO is not exactly program, but medium, space, where other programs work. So, different points of view are always welcomed. Sometimes one unusual view of somebody can bring you ideas for new directions, new features of SALVO. In addition is good for every beginner to have more examples, from different sources.

And even for people, that know excellent SALVO is good from time to time to see how other people make the same things they do now. The style of programming is something that changes with the time and if you have more sources you can get the best solution and approach.

I think that SALVO now has all necessary services, what it needs now is to come closer to people and to be ported to more processors. This is the "second" phase of SALVO.

Regards
Luben

luben

Return to Hints & Ideas